The Lagos State Government in conjunction with Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA), on 1st February 2021, introduced a reloadable prepaid card – the Lagos Cowry Card which commuters will now use to pay for their bus fares whenever they ride on the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Buses in Lagos State and also on the trains in the city. This new reloadable prepaid card system is to replace the long-time cash system.
LIKE THIS? You can also read: Lagos State 6 Rail Lines; Blue Rail Line – Routes, Take-Off Times, Prices, And Duration
The same Cowry Card is also being used as a payment option for the newly-launched Blue Rail Line train system.
The Cowry Card grants you access to ride with any BRT Bus in Lagos State and also use the train. This prepaid card is powered by Cowry, hence the name – Cowry Card. The state government stated that this system was introduced to further reduce the use of cash in the state. The use of this card becomes very necessary as the world continues to fight the Coronavirus pandemic by reducing contact as much as possible.
How much is the Cowry Card?
- Normal Cowry Card costs N200 (Two Hundred Naira Only)
- Standard Cowry Card costs N400 (Four Hundred Naira Only)
This article will focus on how commuters can get the Cowry card, use the Cowry card, check the Cowry card account balance, how to replace the cowry card in case of loss, how long before the Cowry card expires, and so on.
How to Get a New Lagos BRT & Train Cowry Card
Easy. You can get a new Cowry Card at any of the Ticketing Booths at the bus and train terminals across Lagos State. All you need to do is just visit the ticketing booth which is usually in sight at the bus or train terminals to issue a card to you.
Some information such as your name, phone number, and address will be required for the issuance of the Cowry Card. You can pay in cash, your bank ATM card, or even with your bank app.
Once it is issued, the card is active and ready for use.
How to Board a BRT Bus/Train Using the Cowry Card
Once you have your Lagos Cowry Card, the next thing is to know how to actually board a bus using the card. Here is a step-by-step procedure on how to use your Cowry bus pass.
- Make sure there’s enough balance on your Cowry Card
- Proceed to the bus stand for your desired route/destination. You might meet a queue. Wait your turn
- At the entrance of the bus, place the blue side of the Cowry Card on this part of the Self-Service Terminal
- Let the machine scan the barcode
- Once your card is approved, a green-coloured notification will be displayed on the machine
- Proceed onto the bus and have a seat
- When you get to your destination, you have to checkout using the same device
It is as easy as that. However, some users still have challenges scanning their barcodes from the Mobile App. We hope this will be resolved ASAP.
LIKE THIS? You can also read: How to Pay your School Fees Abroad from Nigeria
Where and how do I download the Cowry App?
You can download the Cowry App into your Android phone on playstore by clicking the link below:
How do I load/top-up my Cowry Card?
You can load your Cowry Card in three ways for now:
- Pay cash at the ticketing booth. The exact cash will be loaded on your card.
- Credit the Cowry Card from your Cowry Lagos Transport Payment App
- Direct Bank Transfer to Card
How to load/fund/top-up your Cowry Card using your Fidelity Bank account
Fidelity Bank is the only commercial bank/financial institution that currently processes LASG Cowry Card Wallet Top-Up from bank account to the Cowry Card. For other banks/FIs, the Cowry Card feature is yet to be added. Here’s how to fund your Cowry Card using your Fidelity Bank mobile banking app:
- Login to your Fidelity banking app
- Go to Pay Bills.
- Select ‘Fidelity Billers’ or ‘Frequently Paid Bills’
- Select Transport and Toll Payment
- Select LASG Cowry Card Wallet Top Up
- Choose the correct account
- Enter amount
How do I do Wallet to Card Transfer to my Cowry Card?
- Go to a self-service terminal
- Click on Transfer
- Enter the last 4 digits of your phone number e.g xxxxxxx8432
- Tap your Cowry Card on the machine and wait for a confirmation message
- Click on Confirm
- Tap again to confirm the process
How long before the Lagos Cowry Card expires?
The Lagos Cowry Card does not have an expiration date. You can use it for as long as you want.
How do I check my balance on my Lagos Cowry Card?
- Go to a self-service terminal.
- Click on Check Balance
- Place your Cowry Card on the self-service terminal, let the machine scan your card.
- Your balance will be displayed to you.
You can find self-service terminals at ticketing booths, and on the buses too.
How do I replace a lost Cowry Card?
If you lose your Cowry Card, simply walk into any of the ticketing booths (the same place where you get a new one) and let them know. Every Cowry Card has a unique identity, embedded in its barcode.
Your details will be requested, afterward, another card will be issued to you plus the balance on the lost card.